Men are also prone to the issue due to an enlargement of the prostate gland with age, gastrointestinal disorders, excessive alcohol, caffeine, carbonated drinks, and citrus juice intake, which weakens the bladder muscles gradually, leading to incontinence.
According to research conducted by incontinence major, Allanda, more than half of the female population in the world will experience this ailment at some point in their lives, while nearly 11% of men over the age of 65 experience incontinence to some extent. Given these statistics and the total world population, the problem is widespread among both men and women. But the vast majority of people don't get their problem diagnosed till an emergency situation occurs.
Once you decide to consult a doctor and begin your treatment, only then can you break free of this ailment. Many just avoid it casually, thinking it isn’t such a huge problem. As a matter of fact, it is not a massive problem at all. But if you keep on delaying diagnosis, the problem will most likely take an ugly turn.
The Cure for Urinary IncontinenceYour treatment can include:
- Bladder Training – To delay urination, you might have to undergo bladder training exercises by trying to hold your urine for 10 minutes every time you get the urge.
- Double Voiding – The goal is to empty your bladder completely so as to prevent overflow continence.
- Diet Control – You might have to cut down or avoid acidic foods, alcohol, carbonated drinks, caffeine, and citrus juices for the bladder to regain its shape.
- Pelvic Floor Muscle Exercises – These help strengthen the muscles that control urination. These exercises are beneficial for stress incontinence as well as urge incontinence.
- Electrical Stimulation – In this method, electrodes are inserted into your rectum or vagina to stimulate your pelvic floor muscles and strengthen them over time. However, to benefit from this technique, you may require multiple sessions for a few months, under the guidance of a medical professional.
- Incontinence Products – These products include incontinence underwear, panty liners, and adult diapers, which are specially designed to absorb urine. These products also contain an odor control technology that eliminates any foul smell and saves you from an uncomfortable and embarrassing situation.
If you are suffering from incontinence, consult a doctor at the earliest and start off with your recovery. Remember, recovery is the best way to combat misery.