You’re excited about the office party happening in a few days. You’ve got your outfit in place, you’ve bought new shoes, and you’ve even splurged on makeup and perfume. And then two days before the party, you wake up to a giant pimple on your face!
Your first impulse is to squeeze the pimple and cover up the area with foundation. But squeezing your pimple will infect the site and aggravate the skin. Since stepping out with a large zit on the face is not ideal, you will need a quick remedy to zap the pimple before D-Day.
Here are 10 DIY pimple fixes when you want to know how to get rid of pimples:
1. Raw garlic. The active acids and compounds in garlic inhibit the growth and spread of pimples. Crush one clove of garlic to release its juice. Apply the juice directly to the pimple and around its base. In a day, the pimple will develop a head. Keep applying the garlic juice till the pimple dries out naturally.
2. Tomato mash. Tomatoes contain anti-bacterial and astringent properties. Mash an overripe tomato and dab it all over your face. Let it dry and set before washing off with cold water. The mash absorbs excess oil and dries out the pimples. Besides, tomatoes have a mild bleaching property, so your skin will look brighter as well.
3. Lavender oil. Lavender essential oil is an excellent remedy for pimples. Dab lavender oil directly on the pimple using a cotton bud. If you have sensitive skin, dilute the oil with a base oil. This remedy will zap your pimple completely in one or two applications, so don’t apply often or your skin will dry out.
4. Mustard and honey mask. Take 1 tablespoon mustard powder and mix with ½ teaspoon honey. Now apply this paste all over your skin. Mustard has bacteria inhibiting properties, and honey will soothe the skin while drying out the pimple.
5. Oatmeal and honey mask. Grind oatmeal in the mixer and mix the powder with some honey to make a paste. Layer this paste all over the face and leave on till it dries completely. This is an excellent cure for excessive oil secretion. While washing off, gently scrub the mask off using circular finger motions. This will help in exfoliating the skin.
6. Apple cider vinegar. If you have a large, stubborn pimple, you can dab a drop of undiluted apple cider vinegar on it. Do this not more than twice a day, or else the skin will get irritated. It helps in killing the pimple gently without leaving a scar.
7. Ice cubes. Give your pimples the cold shoulder – zap them with an ice cube. Last thing before turning in for the night, take an ice cube and run it all over the face till the cube is reduced to half. Do not wipe your face; just go to sleep. In the morning, your pimples will have flattened out. This remedy also aids cell regeneration, so new pimples will not be formed.
8. Egg white mask. Egg whites are excellent pimple fighters. They also provide protein and hydration to the skin. Separate egg whites from the yolk of two eggs and beat them with 1 teaspoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. Apply liberally all over the face and wash off with warm water.
9. Turmeric paste. Turmeric has several anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Mix some turmeric powder in cold milk and apply it all over the face. This will dry out your pimples in no time. However, turmeric tends to colour the skin yellow, so make sure to use this fix when you’re not about to go out.
10. Toothpaste. This is a last ditch attempt to remove pimples, because toothpaste has a high drying action that irritates the skin. Carefully dab toothpaste on the pimple and leave it on overnight. You will wake up to find the pimple flattened and almost dead. Soothe the area with an ice cube and apply moisturising cream over the site.
We hope you are now equipped with enough knowledge on how to cure pimples. Enjoy your clear skin!